Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

So...

April the 1st, 2011 was the last time I posted here - April Fools Day :/


I wonder does that mean something...or even should it? Or given the meteor I witnessed tonight and my subsequent thoughts on the matter, is it all nothing but sheer serendipity?


Who knows, right? We all have our thoughts on it, obviously. In any event I think until proof can be provided none knows any more than the other.
But here's a take on it:

The meteor as it happens flashed into my sight, and here's some serendipity for you, just as I happened to be looking skyward. It blazed across the night sky, with a tail (considering perspective) thousands of miles long and a head which grew brighter and brighter as it burned up in the atmosphere until it burned out.
The whole thing lasted perhaps a second. And I involuntarily grinned ear to ear at having seen such a sight.

So it got me thinking: from where did this body originate? Was it the detritus of an interstellar collision? Had this piece of rock - of another world perhaps - been travelling from before I was born, you were born, the earth was born? Has it been in perpetual motion for millienia? And was it nothing more than the aforementioned sheer serendipity, happenstance that it came into our solar system, and into our little world before burning up in our atmosphere?


This little rock. Was it older than mankind? Was its year a number too big to compute? Just how long was it sailing through the blackness of space?
Only to disintegrate after all that?

Puts something of a perspective on life, I thought. We really are...nothing in the big scheme of things. Insignificant, trivial, to all but ourselves.



Which leads me to the meaning of life...the point of it all. (Tip: it has nothing at all to do with any type of god, per se).


M

No comments: