Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Seat belts

I hate wearing seat belts; I've always hated wearing seat belts. More to the point, I'm convinced it's a travesty against my personal rights (being that it's a victimless crime for God's sake).

So I no longer wear one - haven't done so for, lemme see...about 4 years. And I'm not going to ever again. And I'll never be caught. Why, I hear you ask? Well, send me 10 bucks and a stamped addressed envelope and I'll tell you. It's pure genius in it's simplicity and I may as well make a few bucks out of it.

Four years ago I got caught by the boys in blue not wearing one and received six - that's right - six points on my licence (along with the obligatory revenue collection). Wasn't able to sit down for a week, I got screwed over so hard.

So it got me thinking - there's no question that seat belts do indeed save lives. (Although in my opinion, some morons drive so unbelieveably bad they deserve to be thrown through the window). However, if I, as an individual, with 25 years of driving experience, choose not to wear one, why should I be forced to. In all that time, on three continents, I've never had the need for one. Maybe partly luck but also the fact that I'm an expert driver. Experts look ahead and have the ability to read the conditions and avoid/pre-empt any... incident. This is how I've driven all my life and why I've never had the need for a seat belt.

But, they say - oh, you're costing the taxpayer thousands to repair you when it happens. Hey bonehead, newsflash - I'M a bloody taxpayer and if MY taxes are in part to pay for an accident of mine then what's the problem. Besides which, it's never happened and although I can't forsee the future any more than the next man, it highly unlikely to.

Moreover, it's gotta be more worthy than filling your bloody pockets with your rorting of the system so don't talk to me about waste. With your chauffers and your petrol allowances and your overseas trips. You've some bloody nerve citing waste, you blood sucking parasites.

Bottom line? I'm not wearing one; you can't make me wear one (now I've a cunning an devious plan), and ye can all get stuffed.
So there! Hah.

No comments: