Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 28, 2007

God Almighty - what has happened to men?

In a Sunday magazine someone called Kathy Buchanan has somewhat crowingly written a piece entitled 'Have you noticed...men are looking better than ever'?
If that means men are looking more like women then she's hit the nail right on the head.
Turns out, according to Ms Buchanan, that skincare products' sales for men have taken off. Manicures; pedicures; facials; eyebrow plucks etc. are being sought by the male of the species like never before.
The author goes on to quote a Jo-Anne Mason, director of BU Australasia, a company responsible for tracking sales of such products as saying 'This market growth has been driven by a more image-concious man who does not consider grooming a compromise to his masculinity. Hence the emergence of the metrosexual market with role models such as David Beckham'. Well, there y'go.
Except, would this be the same Mr Beckham who openly admitted to wearing his wife's underwear and whose testicles are in the grasp of said wife?. Hmmm, if he's the typical modern man, we're in BIG trouble, fellas!
Of course, it's no surprise that the world is changing in favour of the fairer sex. Maybe not in the corporate boardroom, but in the average household women are the targeted audience of advertisers. The average man, conversely, is seen as a bumbling idiot who can't do anything and who's treated like a stupid child by the spouse. I am woman hear me roar!
I'm a man. I smell nice, I'm trim, and I dress well. I'm intelligent (no Einstein but no Mr Bean either) and I'm sensitive. And that's about it. I don't exfoliate, I don't pluck my eyebrows and I don't get manicures. I have no desire to be some sort of hybrid - a mixture of man and woman. I have body hair, I have scars from years of motorcycle riding (or tumbling off same) and I sometimes look rough. But, I'm unmistakenly a man. And proud of it too. I have a feminine side, which I keep securely hidden from all but my most trusted colleagues and I can watch soppy films. After which I'll take the lady with whom I've watched the film to dinner where it will be absolutely clear who the man in the relationship is. Why? Well just use your bloody eyes!

No comments: