Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 01, 2008

RIGHTO KB - HERE Y'GO...

The Super 14 season for 2008 drew to a close last night. The Waratahs travelled to New Zealand to attempt for the second time in eight visits, to defeat the mighty Crusaders.
And to be fair to them, they came out of the gate running, scoring the first try in fact and soon had a 12-3 lead. Their defence in that first half, it has to be said, was terrific and yours truly began to wonder if the mighty Crusaders could breach it.

But alas (for them at least and to my mild relief) they couldn't keep it up. And they faced the best team in the comp at that very thing - digging deep and putting it all on the line. Still, they went into the break 12-11 ahead.

And weren't to score another point. The Kiwis went over for a try only to have it disallowed as Brad Thorn punched one of the 'Tah players while he was on the ground (so I'm not sure how that would have affected the try as it happened mid-field - far from the tryline, however...).
Carter the superboot was allowed enough space to park a shopping centre (a fact the 'Tahs must surely be lamenting) and nailed a sweet drop goal.

And when the Crusaders crossed into the corner again it was all over.

So the trophy that has spent the last year in South Africa, is now back in good ole New Zealand.

Take heart in that, KB.

2 comments:

KB said...

Woohoo! That's what I was waiting for. I enjoyed the game and I thought the ref did a good job. I have been in a bit of a funk since the World Cup (rugby wise) but am looking forward to seeing the boys back on the field. Hope they do me proud.

Go the Mighty Blacks!!!!!!!!!!

mutters said...

Me too, KB; the "Tahs" should take heart in their play. I was a wee bit concerned to be honest, that the Crews weren't goin' to be able to crack the 'Tahs defence. It was solid for the whole first half.
But as I say - one doesn't give Dan Carter that much room - or one regrets it (as I'm sure they do). And then the classic 'go wide' try. Superb.
NZ rugby, KB...outstanding. Man, I can't wait for the internationals!