Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 20, 2008

TO SMACK OR NOT TO SMACK

Says the first line of the article entitled "Parents strike back" in the Daily Rag today.
It goes on to say that "frazzled parents have inundated a new State Government hotline for help on how to punish their unruly children". (This is the Government whose "governing" is woefully inadequate - sort of like the wolf minding the sheep).
Joe Tucci, of the Australian Childhood Foundation says, "Parents feel smacking doesn't work and prefer not to use physical punishment but are not sure what to put in its place".

For the record: according to the Community Services Minister, Kevin Greene, the law doesn't stop parents smacking children, but is designed to make sure the children are protected from serious harm".

Of course no-one could agree with punching or kicking a child - that's simply abuse, but a smack on the rear end doesn't even come close to abuse.
One only needs to look closely at the face of a child after he/she's been smacked to see that the effect is one of shock. The child can almost been seen thinking, "what was that!" Followed by the swift realisation that the thing they just did was the cause and that if they don't do it again they won't be smacked again. It's called learning. A 4 year old for example can't be explained to the dangers of "sticking his/her hand in the fire". But the risk still exists so the parent's only option is to make the child fear the repercussions of the act more than the act itself.

But no, the do-gooders are all for banning any sort of physical punishment, grouping a loving smack in with serious abuse.
The result of course is that kids now get away almost literally with murder. Kids "divorcing" parents, running amok, carrying on without any fear of recrimination.
All because some no mark (probably a vegetarian) has introduced into the minds of the easily led public the idea that a smack from a loving parent with the aim of controlling/protecting their child, is a bad thing.

Well done do-gooders; no, really, well done, you lot have almost single-handedly created a new breed of children who have zero respect for their elders and society in general.
And the apparent need for a "hotline".

Good God!

8 comments:

KB said...

I've only had to smack one of the kids once and believe me, it hurt me more than it hurt her. I didn't smack her hard (only a pat really) but I felt terrible. I'm sure most parents would agree that sometimes smacking is necessary.

mutters said...

Your reply,KB, reeks of - "oh, I smack...but not hard". Because like most these days, whether you want to admit it or not, you feel slightly ashamed to conduct yourself in such a way.

If your child steps out of line - smack, and smack hard - on the arse. Won't do it a bit of harm and might even teach the wee bastard some respect - a trait in today's youth that's sorely lacking!

Dr. Muttars

Jayne :) said...

Lord I used to beat mine regularly - they seem to have turned out OK. No mass shootings or drug dealing that I'm aware of?

And we do actually still talk to each other and spend time together - voluntarily :)

Hey Mutters and KB - how you guys doing?

KB said...

I'm OK thanks Jayne. Welcome back! Hope the move went well and you are all settled.

Spoony Quine said...

` I was horribly abused by my parents, but they hardly ever smacked me. Except for my dad, unexpectedly in the middle of the night when I was sleeping.
` Or after the teacher at school drug me down the stairs in a bag and I'd be sent home early. (No, my dad didn't care about that, and he didn't tell my mom.)
` As punishment, I mostly endured yelling and streams of insults. Hours of it. For no discernible reason.
` And if I had a little problem like a broken bone, my vulnerability made me a much easier target; I was punished for reacting to pain, so I was forced to play the game of "let's get our young daughter to flinch when she doesn't think we're looking so we can punish her".

` Indeed, I don't think that smacking is a problem in itself; it's the parents' attitude toward their children.
` Also, actually punishing them when they do something wrong instead of whenever you feel like it also helps. I didn't learn what right from wrong meant until I was about 20.
` So really, it's not what you do, it's how you do it.

mutters said...

LOL Jayney - "beat them regularly" indeed, hoho, thata girl!

And I'll bet they've turned out to be respectful young people.

See the difference?

See:

What you describe is clearly abuse and no-one denies it's shocking. But there's a world of difference between that and a loving smack on the behind that often hurts the parent more than the child. Indded it's a fundamental part of teaching a child who's too young to understand anything else. Failure to do so is remit of a parent and leads us to the situation we all now face.
Thanks for callin in, See.

Jayne :) said...

Well most of the time Mutters but I find the odd kick on the shins works wonders when they think they can be 'smart' and get away with it - lol

It's a little more subtle and far more amusing :)

mutters said...

Lol, I can just see that too - like a "Dickens" woman, doling out punishment. Haha - you go Jayney!