Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 02, 2008

THE WORDS THAT GAVE US THE MOST TROUBLE

A list of words that in a poll of 3000 people, they found the most difficult to pronounce (they couldn't spell them either).


Phenomenon,
Anaesthetist,
Remuneration,
Ethnicity,
Philosophical,
Provocatively,
Anonymous
Thesaurus
Aluminium
Regularly
February
Particularly
Prioritising
Pronunciation (yeah - seriously, and hilariously)
Prejudice
Facilitate
Hospitable
Onomatopoeia


Aside from the last one, these are not difficult words to either pronounce or spell. Now, being that I have had a reading age above my actual age since day one, one might argue it's easy for me to say but I would maintain that anyone with even a modicum of education wouldn't find these difficult, and it just illustrates the woeful state of the modern day education system. (Governments for years have been reducing the pass marks so they can boast about how many students are passing exams. The result? Well, see for yourself. A nation of clots while the powers that be congratulate themselves).

It's a worry - and bloody phone text is almost singly responsible. That and spellchecker on computers. I don't use it myself - I have it switched off - because I can spell - because I was taught when young.

I must add, however, that I'm not infallible and do on occasion let the odd one past the keeper as it were but...fuck it, I'll just blame this poxy blogger!

5 comments:

Jayne said...

Hey Mutters :)

I agree with your sentiments exactly - now how DO you pronounce that last one? :)

You know it's serious when your 18 year old daughter is shocked at how many times her lecturer has to repeat himself and how short most of her classmates attention span is! Maybe being educated in deepest, darkest Africa had its advantages after all?

Pfft!
Jayne :)

Jayne said...

Sorry - it's this change of email add. While I know I do talk nonsense quite often, I prefer to be known simply as Jayne (with a Y) :)

I'm off to delete that blog add - it was for demo purposes anyway when I was trying to help someone else set themselves up. After all that work, they disappeared off the system, without so much as a thanks!

Very annoying!

mutters said...

Yeah it's a whopper isn't it? However, I'll not insult you by explaining how to pronounce as I've no doubt you know (or have a dictionary and therefore could find out).
As for the rest on the list? Easy peasy!

KB said...

I love those occasions when you blame blogger. Have you noticed? *giggles*

mutters said...

. Bastard fuckin blogger. It's taken 4 bloody attempts to answer this.
And they're always going on about these "new" features. I have a suggestion for ye, blogger - how about you fix the current fuckin issues before starting new ones!!!

AARRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!