Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 05, 2006

So sunshine is actually good for you now?

So sunshine actually is good for you now? Only what parents in the seventies have been telling us for years – in moderation obviously. Because, believe it or believe it not, this author has actually got sunstroke before – twice. What’s more surprising is that it occurred both times in Ireland. Didn’t know you had sun in Ireland, I hear you say. Often the immortal words ‘it’s a beautiful day outside – away out and play, and put your shorts on’, were ordered by my mother. ‘Get some sun on yer legs’, she would instruct.

It seems that everything at one time or another over the last few years has been bad, then good, then back to bad, for you, again. In this case we’re enjoying a ‘good’ cycle.

Ok you collective Einsteins, tell me what to do. Do I go out in the sun – or not? Do I drink milk – or not? Are strong bones and the lessened chance of a nervous disease more important than skin cancer?

Or, how about letting me take my own responsibility for my future?

Where, oh where do I get a job like that? Make a claim based on supposed new findings, wait for a few years and with the appropriate surprise counter with – ‘Hang on, it’s not bad for you after all’. Double mileage from the one topic.

So fear not all of those confused by the indecision of academia; stand fast by the original nonsense you believed, it will become valid once again.

So I smoke, I race motorcycles, I jump from aeroplanes and I don’t buy soy products, I don’t take part in any activity that involves spandex and I don’t ‘watch what I eat’. (Though that depends on what I’m eating. hum).

So obviously, according to the so-called experts, I’m at deaths door. Although I may as well be, being that I’m one of the modern lepers, due to my apparently disgusting habit of…wait for it…smoking. The audience gasps in horror as they all ask – ‘don’t you know it’s bad for you?’

Except I don’t feel that way. Hmmm, maybe the experts have got it wrong again; I’ll just wait for the requisite time to pass. My lifestyle will, no doubt, be considered sanctimoniously acceptable once again.

3 comments:

KB said...

A year later and you're still alive, who would have thought it!

Eaten anything good recently? *wink*

I know you are too busy to write at mo so I thought I'd check out some old entries. What can I say, I was having Muttars withdrawal.

Some good articles here mate.

mutters said...

Who'da thought it indeed, KB.

*Or any- one, hoho wink wink*

Yeah, there are a few good uns right enough but nice of you to say. Thanks. Read on!

KB said...

Any-one? You wish!

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Yeah, I read a few every day but don't always comment. Wouldn't want people to think I was stalking you, lol.