Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 29, 2007

CASE IN POINT...

Some time ago I wrote a piece (God, it sounds so...uppity - like I'm an actual writer rather than some Joe just jotting down his thoughts) regarding sunshine and it's benefits/risks. The effects of too much of it - specifically skin cancer (which it has to be said is apparently at its highest rate here in OZ due to the famed 'hole' in the atmosphere) has been well documented. 'Stay out of the sun', they cautioned. 'Or use a strong UV cream'.

Well the general populous immediately ran out to the shops and purchased all the (about 500 UV) sun cream they could find (which is so protective it renders the recipient whiter than they began...).

It now transpires that the experts' words were taken a little too literally as many people (read, morons) and their poor children who don't have a say are now presenting at doctors with the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency.

Vitamin D is received in spades from the sun's rays. And word is just 15 minutes a day provides all the vitamin D a person requires. I myself have never been a 'worshipper' as such and have never been interested in lying on the beach like some sort of...well, wanker actually. Half naked women - good; half naked men - bad.

I've been saying for years now that the total blocking of these rays is a bad idea. I think in my 'piece' I wrote of my Ma (and all other Mas of that generation) telling me and the respective children to, "go out and get some sun on your legs'.

People aren't encouraged to do so anymore and because they're that thick they'll believe whatever the 'experts' tell them.

Tch! Experts indeed. Go and get a real bloody job y'wasters!

Me? I'm goin out in the sun - with my smokes!

3 comments:

KB said...

A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with a vit D deficiancy. I'm not surprised; she covers herself from head to foot with body and face cream (with built in sunscreen), before she leaves the house each day. She's too scared of getting wrinkles! I understand it's important to look after our skin but people have forgotten that a little bit of sunshine is good for us. Helps improve our mood too.

mutters said...

Damnit - there MUST be a way to exploit and manipulate these morons, there must be. Think Muttars, think!

KB said...

You could sell bottles of lotion which protect from the sun and let it burn ya at the same time. Some ppl wil fall for anything mate!