Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 21, 2008

KNOCK KNOCK - - WHO'S THERE.

The Jovies, aka, Jehovah's Witnesses. Two Honeys in fact; a middle aged one with a pretty young novice in tow (Boing!).

Yep, they just called at my house to tell me that the Lord's return is imminent and that I should treat it as urgent (I said "He'd better get a move on - I've to go to the shops). They showed me a passage from a bible from a man who claimed such urgency, wait for it...around 300 BC. So...not really that urgent.

From some American reprint of the actual bible. New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. I've never heard of it and the writer of this particular passage I've never heard of either and I know the bible (being that I was a Christian once upon a time - and a Sunday School teacher at that).

Anyway, the pleasant and courteous fellow that I am, I gave them the time to chat and they left me their publication, Watchtower from the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, (made in Japan - isn't everything these days).

Anyway anyway, after they declined my offer to come in and get naked I gently 'chucked' them on their respective chins and sent them on their way.

I'm such a good boy!

6 comments:

KB said...

The thought of anyone knocking on your door and trying to change your mind about ANYTHING...has me in stiches. If it had been blokes you would have sent them on their merry way?

mutters said...

You can't change me, KB, because I'm right - not because I'm stubborn...

Besides, the advent of two beauties was what facilitated the boing. Two Joes, I would've given the same amount of time - without the boing obviously.

If nothing, I am courteous and polite. I won't dismiss them if they've taken the time to call (and if, of course, I have the time - which in this case I did, so...).

Spoony Quine said...

This reminds me of something I heard the other day that had me sweating for a moment.
` An unstable star that may give out a huge gamma ray burst at any moment (of course it is 8,000 light years away, so we're talking about gamma rays it could have emitted 8,000 years ago) is currently aimed at the earth!
` These bursts are very lethal for whatever side of the earth they might hit! The energy would be like atom bombs everywhere and would make a much bigger hole (weak spot) in the ozone layer than we've ever seen!
` Basically, it's many times the energy of the sun being shot in a matter of minutes or seconds in particular directions - most gamma ray bursts aren't pointed our way, and usually happen far enough away that the energy is so spread-out it doesn't affect us even if it does hit.
` But they probably have caused disaster: the Devonian mass extinction is thought to have been caused by a gamma ray burst.
` It's extremely unlikely, of course, but it's a little scary to think about. Will we be sitting around one evening and suddenly be fried in our own homes? (Maybe a four-inch lead roof might be a good investment?)
` In any case, I doubt that it's possible to scare the Jovies with a little bit of astronomy, seeing as they don't seem very science-oriented.

mutters said...

Gamma ray burst? Asteroid? Ice age? Who knows? The point is, a. global warming is bollocks, and b. it is inevitable that the human race will cease to be sometime very soon (in terms of eternity).

The Jovies don't seem to bothered.

Spoony Quine said...

Well, they'll probably just blame it on Armageddon....

mutters said...

Whatever works for them...

Sooner the better.