Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The following is a transcript of a conversation yours truly had with a work colleague recently (we'll call him Kev). Be advised, said colleague is a truck driver so the language is...colourful!
Voting is compulsory in Oz - to not vote brings a fine.


ME: "So, Kev, any ideas on who you're votin for?"
KEV: "I don't vote, mate".
ME: "Isn't it illegal not to vote here?"
KEV: "Yeah, it is".
ME: "So how'd yget round it"?
KEV: "Well, when I was 18 I went to the voting booth with me ma and asked her was my name on the electoral roll. She said it was. I said - "screw it - I'm not voting, and went back home".
ME: "Y'get a fine?"
KEV: "About 2 weeks later a fine for 50 bucks came in the mail, so I wrote on the fine slip - 'fuck off, I don't vote for liars', and sent it back. About 2 weeks later I got another fine for 50 bucks so I wrote on it - 'what, are you slow learners, I told you to fuck off I don't vote for liars".

I'm having quite a chuckle at this because I love stickin it to the man.

ME: "So what happened next?"
KEV: "Well, about another 2 weeks after that someone from the office called me on the phone. And I told them pretty much what I had written. I said, 'look, these cunts make all sorts of promises that they never have any intention of keeping. They lie like fuck just to get elected then renege on everything they've promised. Like I said, I don't vote for liars, so you can shove your fuckin fine up yer arse!'
I'm full on laughing at this point and in my mirth I ask -
ME: "What'd they do?"
KEV: "They hung up on me!" Several weeks later I got a letter informing me I'd been struck of the electoral roll! I haven't voted since"

Kev, mate, my opinion of you has just increased tenfold, buddy! Hoho. There's nothing quite like telling a bureaucrat to shove somethin up their arse.

4 comments:

morgetron said...

Awww. Truck drivers. How fondly I remember the days when Grandpa drove a semi-truck. Oh wait. I don't. I can't stand that guy.

You're friend is funny though.

mutters said...

What guy? Your granda? Wow! Hardly charitable, Morg.

KB said...

Spooky! Had to re-read because I could have sworn that was you talking. Thought you'd changed your name to Kev. Maybe you two are long, lost brothers. Hehe!

mutters said...

Does sound a bit like me right enough but no - it's all Kev. I thought I was the only one with a fuck you attitude.

Good to know I'm not alone!