Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 01, 2008

KALAHARI

It's remarkable, y'know, the kind of TV one watches when not offered the chance of "light entertainment". Which was my diet often before what has now become know as "The collapse".

One legacy (amongst many) of the collapse, is the absence of satellite TV - you'll remember the bastards at Austar - on which I watched said light entertainment. With 40 channels I still found myself bored with the offerings on occasion and resorted to sit-coms etc.

Well now I don't have satellite and let me tell ye - there is very little on the commercial channels worth a look in the wee hours of the morning (which is when I get home from work). Christian TV, infomercials and this desperate grab for cash, The Mint - a truly woeful show where these speedtalkers (who also happen to be rather attractive) just, much like radio, abhor dead air and do everything but get naked to convince thew viewer to ring the 1900 number.

So I've been watching ABC; which is...educational at least. Am currently watching a show on the Kalahari. Seems like paradise.
The eagles have arrived due to the abundance of fish in the panhandle. Majestic they are - and powerful. Lifting themselves out of the water after losing a fight with a competitor for the air takes a great amount of effort and the bird's whole body shakes in unison as the great wings hoist it into the air.

Crocodiles, elephants, antelope. Insects, mice, fish that can breath air and walk with the aid of specially formed gills.
And herds of buffalo; meaning the carnivores won't be far behind. As if on cue, the lions have arrived, swaggering into town with the self assurance that comes with the king of beasts.

And they make a kill; they do it by suffocation so the buffalo just waits to die with the jaws of a lioness clamped round its throat. I always find that sad but hey, the lions have to eat too (and they don't have Burger King in the Kalahari!).

And one only has to see the lioness licking clean her clubs, to forget any feelings of abhorrence at the brutality of the kill.

The giraffes are next in the sights of the cameraman, along with baboons.

Now fire arrives; and consumes the delta. Thousands of slow, young and infirm animals die in the ensuing inferno. The lioness who earlier showed brutality in the kill, then tenderness with her cubs is now searching for them. They're hiding place was torched in the blaze.

Often this would end in disaster but whether fact, or by the hands of the film maker, we see the little cubs rediscover their mother.

The Garden of Eden.

The cycle of life.

16 comments:

Spoony Quine said...

` She licked her clubs... sorry, I am having visions.
` I duv baby lions and nature shows! (used to watch them all the time when I was 12) Now I don't have a TV - yes, how do I live, right?

Spoony Quine said...

` PS In America we have an ABC, if you didn't know! o_O (& Britain has BBC and Canada has CBC....)

mutters said...

Get your mind out of the gutter, woman! I love TV.

P.S. I know you lot have an ABC - and I know Britain has a BBC (doh! I lived there most of my life. Quality TV it is too. Knocks bells out of commercial TV).

Spoony Quine said...

` Wow! Well, everyone knows about BBC I think but I didn't realize you're from there!
` If only all TV was more like that, or like PBS (also non-commercial). We'd have really boring (accurate) news shows, and the science shows would probably be top-notch.

mutters said...

I'm an Ulsterman specifically (that's Northern Ireland to the great unwashed).

Spoony Quine said...

` Cool! So is the Irish Pub guy down the street. I love his accent.....

mutters said...

An Ulsterman? Or an Irishman? They are one and the same really but sound different. Southerners sound like...tirty tree. Northerners sound like English but with this fierce brogue that's very hard to understand to the (again) unwashed.

Spoony Quine said...

` He's definitely from Northern Ireland. I think UK people are so hot. I don't know why. A lot of things, really. (No doubt the foreskin factor comes into play...)

mutters said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mutters said...

(Wouldn't know anything about that I'm afraid!)

Everybody thinks the Paddies are hot, See. Probably the accent. Weird huh?

Wonder which clan he belongs to.

Spoony Quine said...

` Don't know. I thought it was funny that he introduced me to Irish Potato bread, saying it was a northern thing, and he said, "It's much better than the soda bread, which is from the south'.
` Speaking of mismatched food, my boyfriend Lou Ryan said "all you have left to put in here is a shawarma stand".
` The Irishman was like; "What? That's bloody English food! Why would I have that here?" Tee hee! Whoops....

mutters said...

Far out - there's a blast from the past - potato bread.
Wouldn't say it's better than soda mind (I'm not sure it's a southern thing either to be honest).

I love soda bread too. Usually taken as part of a 'fry up'. Bacon, eggs, soda and potato bread, sausage and maybe some fried bread - all plastered in the Queen's own HP brown sauce. With a big mug of tea.
*Salivates*

Now THAT'S eating!

Spoony Quine said...

` Oh no! Drool is on my keyboard!

mutters said...

Lol!

I must cook some up, actually - I'm sure I have a frying pan somewhere...
Though of course, they don't have the 'bread' here. I think I heard a rumour of somewhere but...hmmm, maybe I'll look into it.
Fried bread'll do but it's soft comfort.

Spoony Quine said...

` They don't have the 'bread' there? What?

` P.S. FRENCH TOAST! MMMMMMMM!

mutters said...

Not soda or potato.

Yeah, French toast isn't bad.