Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

It official. Women drivers are better than the men - at least that's what the geniuses at AAMI, an insurance provider, have deduced form their research which states that 84% of males are involved in accidents vs 77% of females.
What's initially startling about these figures is the significant increase in the female percentage. The women on the roads used to be much more law-abiding than their male counterparts but no more it would seem.
And actually, I have witnessed such females, usually teenagers or in the low twenties, zipping through the traffic like wannabe racer girls.

The report also claims that the males' accidents are typically more serious, meaning serious bodily harm, even death/extreme vehicle damage.
The girls by comparison tend to reverse into things and slowly shunt other vehicles with the worst result being embarrassment and an insurance claim.

Well, while you're sitting there in smug satisfaction at this new evidence suggesting your superiority, you might want to hear this first.

The whole report is nonsense; total and utter nonsense. It has no more effect than any statistic does. Lies, damned lies and statistics, remember. Put no stock in this.

Observe:

The reason why males are involved in more serious accidents is because the second they get in a vehicle (and driven by that most uncontrollable of chemicals, testosterone), the majority imagine they're Michael Schumacher. What often follows is they invariably overstep their limits resulting in the significant damage (collaterally and to life and limb).

Women, on the other hand, crash into things in a minor way, not because they imitate the males and push beyond their limits, but rather, because they don't know what they're doing (not helped by the gossiping away to their girlfriends on the mobile)
.
And then there's the screen-hogger; we've all seen them. These women, (and pensioners too, in fact but rarely if ever young males) with their seat as far forward as it'll go and their noses mere inches from the glass, staring intently, directly ahead, completely oblivious to what's going on around them.
Their hands gripping the steering wheel at the ten past two position, as if their very life depended on it. It's almost like they're afraid to be there.

These types are much more dangerous than any hooligan.
Better drivers indeed! What tripe.

2 comments:

morgetron said...

Well ... I'm just going to blow your stereotypes outta the water then.

People get mad at me (usually men -- just an observation by my own two eyes) for going the speed limit.

I don't have a cell phone.

I don't gossip much, though, I admit, some times it is helpful.

I have an excellent insurance rating.

I am a woman driver.

I realize, I may be atypical, but ... there you go generalizing again.

Love you anyway ... hate you too.

mutters said...

That wouldn't be at all like ye, Morgy :).
Look, I'm the world's best driver - take that as a given; there is nothing anyone can teach me that I don't already know when it comes to the operation of vehicles full stop.

From 2 wheels (I raced motorbikes for years, with success) to 34 (drove b-doubles too) I am the consumate expert in the operation of all things vehicular.
Now, with that in mind and considering the Nazi-like police in Oz, I drive my personal vehicle much like you claim to - within the speed limit (most of the time :).
I spend much of my time in and around Sydney and my research proves my claim.
But I concede it's a generalization, however, that's the essence of the word - general, meaning 'predominant'. My ex-wife, for example, is a good driver - confidant, in control and comfortable in the car (although she did tend to 'ride' the back of the car in front often and usually saw me stamping the invisible brake pedal out of fear - not a good passenger y'see).
And there are many more but unquestionably there are also many bad ones, and this group consists, I'm sorry, of women and pensioners. Predominately remember! There are some blokes that shouldn't be on the road either but they're in the minority.
It's research Morgy, trust me :))