Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

MARRIED...WITH CHILDREN

In an earlier post, the one entitled 'idiot box', I made reference to the hilarious TV show, Married with Children. I expected a roar of disapproval as the hoardes of ladies started screaming as to how it belittled their sisters.

While I wait for such objections, I'd like to mention, perhaps one of the funniest lines from the show, nay perhaps all shows.

The scene is Al Bundy sittting at his table in the kitchen doing what Al typically does - wondering when someone was going to shoot him and put him out of his misery.

Peggy, the redheaded wife, bounces through the door after playing havoc with Al's credit card at the stores, with a light and breezy, 'hey Al, y'miss me?'

Al slowly lifts his head from his hands, slowly turns to Peg and replies, 'with every bullet so far!'

I hope I've done it justice because the actual scene has me in pieces every time. And if I remember rightly, the audience errupted also (though, American show have a thing called canned laughter which isn't necessarily from a given gag, so who knows).

What a sensational retort. I swear, it puts this line into the realms of the greats. Whomever's responsible for penning it should take a bow for it is indeed, priceless.

With every bullet so far. Hohohohoho...classic.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Not as good as "Only fools and horses"!
Remember "Batman and Robin"

The missing shelf in the pub?

mutters said...

Long time no hear, G.

Of course, who could forget the lifted shelf? A priceless piece of writing and acting.
And the Batman and Robin bit. Even now it brings a smile to my face.

But that's my point, the MWC line is up there with that. That's how gut-wrenchingly funny it is. The show isn't for everyone, obviously, but there's no taking from the hilarity of it.

Unknown said...

As I only watch it when I am visiting in the U.S. I suppose I should not comment.

What about Seinfeld?

morgetron said...

I like Christina Applegate.

I used to watch that show all the time. It's partially responsible for the woman I am today.

mutters said...

What are ye booin and hissin at me for, Missy? I'm a huge fan of the show. Always have been.
And the point is that most people with whom I've discussed it (predominantly women) consider it sexist and degrading to women.

They don't seem to understand that poor Al is beyond any doubt, the most put upon in the show. The constant subject of ridicule.

Of course they all get it - every one of them.
A top show!

------------------------------

Partially responsible for the woman you are today, Morg?

Hoho - that explains a few things.

mutters said...

Word of advice, Missy - come in here half asleep and you're liable to be jumped on - in the nicest possible way of course!

The prize? Hmmm...

You wouldn't know what to do with the Growler, mate. Remember, it's a man thing. Heh heh.

Snort! snort!

mutters said...

Yeah, poor Al. And the Rhodes - Steve and Marcy, then Jefferson which made her Marcy Darcy. Hoho...

Haha...Peggy Wanker...rotflmao. Pure genius! Could quote lines from it all day.