Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

My word! Have a go at this.

Reality TV has taken a disturbing turn. In Holland, there is now a show called The Donor show in which contestants vie for a dying woman's bodily organs. The woman will pick one of 3 to get her kidneys.

Condemnation has ensued. From all.

Well, let me put it this way - right or wrong, one thing will decide whether or not the show lasts. Money. If people don't watch, it won't last.

However, people have a morbid curiosity about such matters and I've no doubt many will watch (I would -but I'm no average man, and I've been an embalmer/undertaker so it doesn't really bother me).

And the organs belong to this lady; who am I to say she can't sell them. Or, much like the land beneath one's home, which is goverment owned (after about 5 feet past the foundations), do we not actually have the authority to do what we will with our own bodies?

Hmmm...more Orwellian stuff.

3 comments:

mutters said...

Ans so you should, Missy, if that's how you feel. And it seems you're not alone, the media's goin off too.

It's an odd one, that's for sure. However, I must say, asking how her family might feel is similar to those who can't end a person's suffering because THEY will feel sad. (See euthanasia post).
She's a person iin her own right, responsible for her own decisions and as long as she's of sound mind whem making the decision, then I don't see how it's my or your or anyone's to demand otherwise.

Don't worry, money will talk.

Unknown said...

I agree with you. It is her body and she has the right to do whatever she wants.The waiting list for donor kidneys is unbelievably long so she may think she is helping to shorten the odds to 3 -1 rather than 300-1.
Her biggest mistake is involving the "media" or perhaps she wants her 1 mins. of fame before sh shuffles of her mortal coil.

I don't ean to be cruel!!

mutters said...

Well, that's how the producers justified it. They cite the falling donor rates as at least part of the motivation.

But ultimately, I believe, it's her body and society may feel outraged to the extent of wanting to disallow the show being broadcast, that's fine, and if they vote with their feet there probably won't be another so in that respect they'll succeed, but the bottom line is - all TVs have an on-off switch.

And mind you, in this brave new world, this is probably only the beginning.