Total Pageviews

Friday, June 15, 2007

EXPERIMENT

Okay...

For the past 6 or 7 weeks I've been conducting an experiment using myself as a guinea pig. I say 6 or 7 as tribute to my legendary slackness at keeping records. (Think there's a plus/minus factor though so...)

Anyway, filthy pig that I am, I haven't washed my hair with shampoo in 6 (or 7) weeks. Let me be clear however, I do wash it as I would with shampoo, except with just water but nevertheless the aul mop does tend to get a bit manky.

Well, now, some 8 ish weeks later, I can report my mane (which is in shocking need of a trim) is soft and fluffy. Clean, smells nice and looks it.

Wow, that's something the shampoo manufacturers aren't goin to like!

5 comments:

morgetron said...

I conducted this experiment on myself last summer and found strikingly similar results. My hair was never in better shape. The chemicals used in shampoos actually strip your hair of its natural oils, which are there ... for a reason, believe it or not.
The main difference between what you did and what I did was I occasionally used a baking soda, then vinegar rinse.

We have also rid our house of the usual cleaning products. We limit ourselves to baking soda, vinegar, Borax, washing Soda, lemon, and kosher salt. We live as naturally as possible. When I'm in the mood for a good clean smell, I use essential oils.

I also make my own laundry soap, which is not actually soap. It's baking soda, washing soda, Borax, natural clay and whatever essential oil strikes my fancy. I need to post an entry on my blog about this.

Thanks for the inspiration.

KB said...

Smelling good M!!!!

You mentioned needing a trim. I'll be right over with the dog clippers.

mutters said...

So you haven't used shampoo since last summer, Morgy?
It works by stripping the top layer of one's skin away y'know.

And yes, the hair does redress its natural balance. Nature y'see - it's whopper, the perfect machine.

Deirdre said...

Hey M. Sounds like a successful science project. Is it true M. Is it really true. Deirdre

morgetron said...

Actually I've found a product line that doesn't have all of that manmade nastiness. It's called Avalon. But I don't wash my hair as often as the average American woman. I go for many days with just using water ... some times for as long as *GASP!* a whole entire week.