Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

RESPECT

Respect: consideration for the feelings or rights of others.

The English language as we all know, and much like the law, is constantly evolving to suit societies varying trends. Every year new words are added and some removed - those that are considered antiquated.
Maybe we should add the above word to the list of defunct words for the only people from whom respect seems to be forthcoming are of the older generation.

Modern youth, brought up on a diet of 'want it now' and immune from any sort of ramification for their acts seem unable to express respect anymore. It used to be a parent's job to teach this but it has been removed from their hands by the machinations of the PC lobby and the bleeding hearts (God, how I despise those people).

These very same people are now the ones whose voice laments the loudest the lack of respect amongst the youth of today.
"Why can't they show some respect to their elders", they ask. "Why do they behave as they do?"

Kids are brought up to believe that they're untouchable; they are free from punishment, instead having to sit while their hand-tied parent/guardian tells them why it's wrong to be rude to people - which they subsequently ignore, chuckle to their friends and carry on regardless.
"Hitting kids simply teaches them to use violence to solve their problems", is another phrase the PC are fond of repeating. What nonsense!

I've been whalloped many times in my life and NOT ONCE did I NOT deserve it. Didn't like it much; had a sore arse afterwards too but whatever it was that warranted such a clout, I rarely repeated. If I was stupid enough to do so, then I could expect more of the same.
And I have never started a fight with anyone in my entire life.

Then of course they blame the advent of the modern computer game - the games in which it's cool to steal cars, beat people up, maim and kill. We had those games when I was a kid too - true they weren't quite as graphic but the intent was the same. "Shoot 'em up" games they were known as. I played them, I stopped and went outside to kick around a football with out thoughts of torture and violence invading my mind.

I can remember some time ago when some no mark came out in condemnation of the old Tom and Jerry cartoons, claiming they were too violent, that they encouraged violence among the kids.
... ... ...(this is me speechless). Maybe someone should have told these people - they were just cartoons, unreflective of real life (cause we all know in real life the poor mouse always gets the shit end of the stick when encountering a cat - one of the reasons, along with selfishness, why cats are bastards but that's for another time).
Isn't it our duty as adults to educate the young in this? Oh, that's right, we can't anymore - some bleeding heart protective of kiddies' delicate little minds has decided that to hit is wrong.
Well, we all are now facing the result of that over protection. A report recently released claims something like 50% of female school teachers are in fear of their students. AVO's (apprehended violence orders) are commonplace amongst our teachers. Can you believe it? The very people in whom we place our trust to educate our young are now afraid of them.
When I was at school, it was I who had the fear, not only from the authority of the teacher but what my parents would do when told of my misdemeanour. So it was a double whammy - not only did I have to endure whatever punishment the teacher chose (whether it was a clip round the ear - that's "clip" not "punch" or the embarrassment of standing in front of the class while I was publicly chastised) but I also had a whallop from my parent to look forward to when I got home!
Now, it's a case of "what are you gonna do about it - you can't touch me, I'll call the cops". Sweet Lord, see what you people have caused with your "protect the little ones" mentality. The very authority to teach has been removed along with parenting.

Kids coming to school with knives and guns is becoming increasingly prevalent as well. Where a school child gets a gun in the first place is a sad indictment on society in itself.
The "little ones" aren't so innocent anymore.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree wholeheartedly with this article. It oly takes one nuisance -- is it permissable to call a child that in this PC world --to cause chaos. The resposibility for any child's behaviour lies first and foremost with the parents. The majority of parents do behave in a responsible manner -- my grandchildren are examples of that-- but too many parents absolve themselves of all responsibility.
They blame the school,the church,the forces of law and order ---anyone but themselves.

Children do not ask to be born.

No two children are equal despite the advantages he or she are given.
Life is not fair and children have to learn to take the rough with the smooth -- as do the parents.
If the parents respect themselves that respect will be transferred to the children who in turn will transfer that to those with whom they come in contact -- be they human or animal -- or vegetable for that matter.

This article deserves to be published in another medium as well as in a blog.

Well done,Muttars.

mutters said...

Thank you both for your kind words.

It's really a case of 'what goes around comes around'. And by golly it has come around alright.

The tragedy is that it'll take generations to repair the problem - even if we tried, which we won't cause, wait for it...we've got to protect the kiddies.
Tch!

KB said...

Well said M.

I havent' been reading your work for long but in my opinion, this is one of your finest writes.

Keep em coming my friend.

mutters said...

Thank you, thank you - I'm here all night!

Went to put my hat on earlier - tch! It doesn't fit!! :))

Thanks again for the compliments, I'll try to keep the standard.

KB said...

I'm not surprised your head is so big mate. I have the list remember.

mutters said...

That grows ever longer, hoho